WE ARE THE OLDEST PRINTING HOUSE IN LITHUANIA
This is the first Catholic printing house that was established in Vilnius in 1574. Many books that have an enormous influence on religion, Lithuanian language development and scientific progress were printed in this Printing house: M.Daukšos "Postilė", K.Sirvydas "Punktai sakymų", Lithuanian primers, etc. The royal Printing name and care was granted to this Printing house in XVIII century. It was the first one in Grand Duchy of Lithuania that started to print newspapers and magazines.
The Printing house was an important part in fostering for Lithuanian, especially when owned by Zavadski family, from 1805 to 1940.
In 1940, when Lithuania was occupied by Soviet Union, the printing house was named "Spindulys".
In 1991, after Lithuanian got back its independence, the printing house became Joint Stock Company "Spauda".
The first Catholic printing house was found in Vilnius in 1574 by Kristupas Mikalojus Radvila - Našlaitėlis to deal with increasingly effected Reformation ideas. This is evidenced by the first printed book, released in 1576 - Petras Skarga „Už švenčiausiąją Eucharistiją prieš Cvinglio ir Andriaus Volano ereziją". In general, printing house has largely contributed to the fact that Lithuania would turn the Catholic and not reformational way.
Although the printing house from its very beginning was under the supervision of the Jesuit Order of monks, only after 1579 when under the privilege of King Steponas Batoras Vilnius University was founded, in 1586 the printing house was finally transferred to the Jesuits. Since then and up to 1805, the printing house was owned by the Vilnius Academy.
Academy, or in other words university time of the printing house is the most prominent and significant to Lithuanian culture - many books that have an enormous influence on religion, Lithuanian language development and scientific progress were printed in this Printing house: : M. Daukšos „Postilė", K. Sirvydas " Punktai sakymų ", Lithuanian primers, etc.
Lithuanian and Polish rulers constantly took care of the Vilnius University Pronting house by giving it exclusive rights and privileges. The royal Printing name and care was granted to this Printing house in XVIII century. It was the first one in Grand Duchy of Lithuania that started to print newspapers and magazines.
The intensity of Academy's printing work is shown by the fact that 3264 editions were printed in the period of 1576 - 1805.
After the Lithuanian - Polish state divisions and occupation of Grand Duchy of Lithuania by the Czarist Russia stagnation in all spheres of life began. Because of the limited resources and public policy, the University refuses of the printing house. 1805 it goes to a private person - Juozapas Zavadskis.
The printing house was owned by Zavadskis family in the period of 1805 - 1940. It should be mentioned that strong cultural and educational aspirations of the owners were felt: a search for the authors, set up a bookstore, cared for the distribution of publications printing fiction, scientific works, calendars and primers, making contacts with the most prominent Lithuanian cultured persons.
In 1940, after Lithuania was occupied by the Soviet Union, the printing house was named „Spindulys", later the Printing house of CPL newspapers and magazines. In 1969 - it was called CPL Press, and it was gradually expanded and modernized till finally in 1985 formally adopted a major newspaper and magazine production complex, called „Spaudos rūmai"(now the Laisvės ave. 60).
After the restoration of Lithuanian independence, the printing house became Joint Stock Company „Spauda".
and our experts will help
you to choose